The light station on ten-acre Pond Island went into service in 1821. It's job - mark the entrance to the busy Kennebec River. After many decades of service, the light was automated in 1963. Only the little stone light tower survives. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service manages the island as a bird refuge. The light can be seen from Popham Beach.