Visitors must quarantine or provide a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours of arrival in Maine. Visitors from New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island are currently exempt. We encourage you to check websites for your destinations before visiting for the latest health and safety guidelines in place.
From parks to beaches, to forests and mountains, the hardest part of exploring Maine’s park and recreation areas is deciding how many can fit in your itinerary.
- A good place to start is exploring one of the 32 state parks here, covering half a million acres of public lands, with unique activities in each. Many begin with the 205,000 acre Baxter State Park at the base of Mount Katahdin, or the 92 miles of lakes and rivers known as the Allagash Wilderness Waterway.
- Maine national parks and forests are popular with millions of visitors annually, for good reason. The view out over the Atlantic Ocean and Acadia National Park from the top of Cadillac Mountain is one that will stay with you for a lifetime.
- To the west, the White Mountains National Forest is beloved by skiers in the winter and by hikers in every season. The 45,000 acres of forest, along with the additional thousands of acres of ski resorts and hiking trails, makes this recreation area a true travel destination.
- Some of the best recreation in the world can be found around Maine’s southern beaches. The seven miles of oceanfront sands at Old Orchard Beach invite all sorts of activity, whether you’re on a weekend trip with friends or an annual adventure with the entire family. Go surfing, ride an oceanfront roller coaster, play games at the boardwalk arcade, or just relax in the sun.
- Inland, Rangeley Lakes, Millinocket, Greenville and many other areas offer canoeing and fishing in their rivers and lakes. Find Maine hospitality at the state’s many campgrounds, resorts and wilderness lodges.
- Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument is over 87,000 acres of mountains and forestland located on the eastern border of Maine's Baxter State Park. Created in 2016, Katahdin Woods and Waters is one of the country's newest monument experiences.
- Start your Maine parks and recreation journey now with our interactive map or the featured articles below highlighting many of the state’s beautiful recreational areas.