Maine receives abundant snowfall making snowmobiling hugely popular here, as evidenced by our more than 280 snowmobile clubs. Maine's snowmobile trail system—which includes 4,000 miles of primary trail known as the Interconnected Trail System (ITS)—offers the opportunity to ride uninterrupted from region to region, with a full range of services available en route. Many of the state’s 10,000 additional miles of groomed trails also hook up with the ITS. For a map of Maine's Interconnected Trail System and trail conditions reports, visit the Maine Snowmobile Association.
Don’t miss Maine’s fun snowmobile events, either. In Rangeley, the annual Snodeo is always a blast with races, kids’ events, fireworks and more.
Prime snowmobiling areas include Jackman-Moose River, Moosehead Lake, Rangeley Lakes, Katahdin area and Aroostook County. Fill up your tank, stop for lunch, or enjoy a club event run by volunteers who maintain the trail system.
Numerous outfitters, sporting camps and resorts offer complete rentals, from helmets and sleds to services and fuel. You can also take advantage of guided sled tours, ranging from half- and full-day outings for families and groups to extended trips of a few days or more.
- Maine Snowmobile Association
- New England Outdoor Center
- Northern Outdoors
- North Country Rivers
- Sledhead Ventures
- Northwoods Outfitters
- Caribou Snowmobile Club
- Northern Timber Cruisers ATV and Snowmobile Club
Look Out for ME Snowmobiling Tips
- Stay on marked trails
- Ride to the right of center on the trail
- Plan ahead and let someone know where you’re going
- Ride sober! Do not drink and ride
- Ride at a reasonable speed to maintain control of the snowmobile
- Be weather wise & dress appropriately
- Learn and use snowmobile hand signals
- Watch for wild animals. Wildlife have the right of way
For more info on how to enjoy the outdoors responsibly, visit our Look Out for ME page.
Snowmobile Safety Tips
There's no better place to explore from the seat of your sled than Maine. To ensure your next Maine snowmobile adventure is memorable for all the right reasons, we've assembled our top safety tips.