Art & Ales: Monhegan Island
Start Your Day
Hop on the ferry to Monhegan
- Balmy Days departs from Boothbay Harbor
- The Hardy Boat departs from New Harbor
- The Monhegan Boat Line departs from Port Clyde.
These are passenger only ferries, no autos on island.
Monhegan Museum of Art and History located on Lighthouse Hill has an extensive collection, each summer, the museum hosts major exhibitions. Monhegan Island has been an artist colony for more than 150 years and known as “The artists’ island”. Edward Hopper, Winslow Homer, Rockwell Kent, the Wyeths, and so many others came for the unique blend of light, the granite cliffs and stunning beauty of this island to find inspiration.
The Lupine Gallery has been showing the work of contemporary Monhegan artists for 35+ years. Located on the main village road. There is an excellent selection of art books, and supplies.
Island artists open their studios during the summer, the Art Monhegan map is a fantastic resource for finding out about when studios are open. Check it out and have fun exploring.
Craft beer, 10 miles out to sea! There’s nothing quite like sitting outdoors among the lobster traps and enjoying a cold brew after a day on the island. #balmydays #trapstacker #islandfarm
Check out Monhegan Welcome for a complete list of island lodging. It’s all unique!
- Island trucks have the right of way.
- Leave no trace. Pack it in, pack it out.
- Please be respectful of private property.
- Please do not pick island flowers.
- And of course, Monhegan Coffee Roasters and Lisa’s donuts at L. Brackett & Son.