All Terrain Excitement
Experience Superb ATVing in Maine
Part of the fun of riding ATVs (all-terrain vehicles) is their ability to navigate a variety of lands – from rocky climbs up a mountain, to smooth cruises through open plains. You’ll find all these terrain types in Maine and more; with over 6,000 miles of ATV trails spanning mountains, forests, meadows and the coast. As the biggest of the New England states, ATV’ers seek out Maine for its abundant trails, scenic environment, ATV-friendly lodging and more. Whether you are a seasoned rider or a new rider seeking guidance and expertise, Maine offers the lands and resources you need.
ATV Trails in Maine
With thousands of miles of trails, Maine is an ATV’er’s dream. Maine has a variety of options for every rider throughout the state. The majority of these paths are private lands made accessible by cooperative landowners and maintained by local ATV clubs. The landowners, ATV clubs and the state’s official ATV association (ATV Maine) all collaborate to provide quality and safe trail experiences. A current, exciting plan in the works – the state is building Maine’s biggest trail system yet, an interconnected ATV trail system!
So, where to ride? State parks, multi-use rail trails and roads await. Discover the backcountry experience of the Aroostook Valley Trail, riding by the Aroostook River and its many streams, and into the deep woods. For a full list of trail options, visit the Maine Bureau of Parks and Lands ATV Trail page. Be sure to contact them (more information is below) and request a trail map!
ATV-Friendly Lodging, Rentals and Guides
New to riding, or don’t have an ATV? Maine has you covered with a variety of lodging and services offering ATV rentals and guides.
- Northern Outdoors’ Forks Adventure Resort: Located in The Forks, this outdoor adventure resort has smooth logging roads and technical terrain for a great riding experience. They offer rentals with knowledgeable staff to assist you with each step of the rental process. Licensed Maine recreation guides are available, allowing you to explore like a local.
- Northwoods Outfitters: This Moosehead Lake outdoor outfitter has everything you need to start your ATV adventure – from quality rentals that are professionally maintained, to a team of registered Maine guides.
- North Country Rivers: This Kennebec Valley Region resort is located right on Maine’s ATV trail system. They offer guided express trips throughout the day, half-day, or full-day trips. They also offer ATV rentals, which include a helmet, trail map and fuel.
- Moose Mountain Inn: Nestled in the heart of the Moosehead Lake area, this Greenville inn offers a superb fleet of ATV rentals, as well as guides to help you explore full-day or half-day options for individuals and larger groups. With ATV trails leading directly to the inn, adventure is right out the front door.
- Maine Back Country Adventures: This Aroostook County rental service offers ATV rentals and guided rentals in a setting that makes for a true back-woods experience.
More ATV services and rentals can be found here.
Things to Know Before ATVing in Maine
- Ensure that you acquire the legally-required Maine registration for your ATV.
- Paper maps are a necessity while on the trail, where phone service is often unreliable. Be sure to contact the State Bureau of Parks and Lands' ATV Program at (207) 287-4957 and ask for a trail map.
- Connect with local ATV clubs to meet fellow ATV enthusiasts, get local tips and more.
- For alerts and additional information, check out ATV Maine and the state’s “off-road vehicles” Facebook page.