Maine Astronomy Retreat (MARS)
This summer we'll host a star party more geared toward adults and interested adolescents. You'll be able to learn about astronomy and telescopes by day - and revel under our expansive dark skies at night. This fantastic and engaging program is led by J. Kelly Beatty (Sky & Telescope's senior contributing editor) and veteran stargazer, researcher and telescope maker Bruce Berger (Amateur Telescope Makers of Boston).
But don't just join us for the stars, the programs, and the lectures. (We'll even have telescopes, but bring yours too.) What makes this a "must-go" venue are the creature comforts. No need to bring a tent, or sleep in a sleeping bag, or eat so-so food. Medomak has comfortable, private cabin facilities with real beds, hot showers, electricity, and amazing, chef-prepared food. And it's all included in your tuition.
And for daytime entertainment? Medomak is located on a beautiful Maine lake that's perfect for swimming, paddling, fishing, or just relaxing. We have all kinds of gear for having fun in the water. You can play tennis, basketball, or enjoy a campfire as we wait for the skies to get dark. Again, all included in your tuition.
Mornings are free time, designed to let you have fun, explore the region, or just sleep in. Each afternoon will feature a series of presentations designed to teach you about astronomy, the night sky, telescopes, and how to view/photograph all those celestial wonders, also included in your tuition.
This gathering will provide activities for amateurs of all experience levels, from newbies looking to buy their first scope to seasoned deep-sky observers and astrophotographers. Here's a partial list of the presentations planned:
- An Introduction to Light Pollution
- Asteroid Occultations (Real Science with Your Telescope)
- Best-Bet Sky Simulation Software and Apps
- Building and Automating Your Dream Observatory
- How to Choose the Best Telescope for YOU
- Using your new telescope
- Telescope Tune-ups
- How to Collimate Your Reflecting Telescope
- Kepler's Explosion of Exoplanets
- Meteors, Meteorites, and Meteorwrongs
- Mythology and Lore of the Night Sky
- Mars in 3D (Latest News from the World Next Door)
- Portraying the Night Sky (with award-winning artist Greg Mort)
- Preparing for the 2017 Total Solar Eclipse
- Sunlight Symphonies (Exploring the Daytime Sky)
- The Amazing Hubble Space Telescope
- The Problem with Pluto
- Price All-Inclusive Tuition w/Private Cabin…………$1350 All-Inclusive tuition w/Shared Private Cabin……$1150 After March 1st, 2018 tuition is refundable, less a $250 cancellation fee and $100 deposit.
12230 Clarksville Pike SUite C
Clarksville, Maine 21029
- Website astronomyretreat.com/
- Email email@example.com
- Phone 301-854-9100, 1-866-633-6625