The Nash Island Light Station was opened in 1838 to mark the entrance into Pleasant Bay. The tower remaining today was constructed in 1874. It was built square, and of brick. That tower is all that remains of the station. It was automated in the 1950s and discontinued in 1982. The tower is being restored by Friends of Nash Island Light. The island is managed as part of the Petit Manan National Wildlife Refuge and is closed to visitors in the spring and summer. The tower can be seen from boat tours.