Fishing in the Kennebec Valley
Activities: Fishing, fly-fishing, family-friendly
Regions: The Kennebec Valley
The Kennebec Valley has drawn fishing enthusiasts for over a century with its more than 250 square miles of open water from dozens of lakes and miles of rivers and streams. Here you will find brown trout, native brook trout, perch, pike, and even the Maine state fish — the landlocked salmon — among others.
This region is expansive, with remote backcountry fishing to the north and popular family-style places further south. Many lakes and ponds are stocked with trout or have self-sustaining populations, and there are even those that have never been stocked and have wild trout — a fisherman’s dream.
Some favorite fishing locales include:
- The Kennebec River, which flows from Moosehead Lake to the sea, is perfect for trout fishing with the family from the town of West Forks down to Madison.
- The Moose River Valley is an ideal place for a canoe-fishing trip, with many ponds in the area to portage between.
- The Cobbosseecontee Stream near Farmingdale draws those looking for largemouth, smallmouth or striped bass.
- Up in Jackman, try the Moose River Bow Trip, a multiday paddle through the ponds and streams of the region. Contact Cry of the Loon Outdoor Adventures for information on a guided trip through pristine wilderness.
- Turner Pond, on the border of Waldo and Lincoln Counties, is great for wild trout, having never been stocked. It’s recommended you hire a guide, as it’s very remote.
- The Belgrade Lakes are one of Maine’s most popular summer spots, with camps and cottages lining the shores. Boats of all kinds are available to rent in town, and the lakes are dotted with slow boats trolling along.
If you want to try fishing in the Kennebec Valley before getting a license, you can. Twice each year, the Maine Department of Inland Fish and Wildlife offers a free fishing weekend for people looking to fish for the first time without a license. This is a great opportunity for families with young children to give fishing a try. For the best fishing experience, hire a Maine Guide who can take you the best places so you can enjoy a truly perfect day of fishing.