Portland Breakwater Light Station was established in 1855. The existing light tower - dubbed "Bug Light" because of its small size - was built in 1875. Though modeled on an ancient Greek monument, it was built with plates of cast iron, painted white. It can be seen from the water on tour boats or by visiting Bug Light Park in South Portland. For more information and directions, contact the City of South Portland.