Mount Desert Rock
Built in 1839, Mount Desert Rock Light Station is one of Maine's most remote and lonely lights. It was built on a remote, tree-less rockpile about 20 miles southeast of Mount Desert. During its long history, violent storms swept the rock, tearing away structures and stranding crews. The station was finally automated in 1977. The light, and the tiny island, is now owned by College of the Atlantic, which uses it for biological research.