Built in 1857, the lighthouse alerts mariners to dangers in the Deer Island Thorofare, a passage running between Deer Isle and smaller islands offshore. The lighthouse is owned by Island Heritage Trust. The grounds are open, the tower is closed.
The lighthouse can be seen from Sand Beach Road in Stonington. It can also be viewed from boats and aircraft.