Fort Halifax State Historic Site
The blockhouse is all that remains of Fort Halifax, which sits at the confluence of the Kennebec and Sebasticook Rivers in Winslow. English settlers built the fort in 1754 to protect colonial settlements along the Kennebec and it served as a garrison for troops from 1754-1766.
On April 1, 1987, flood waters dismantled it. Crews in boats recovered the log timbers, which had scattered miles downriver. The blockhouse was reassembled the following year. Today, the fort bears the designation as a National Historic Landmark.
For more information, check with the Bureau of Parks and Lands.