Whether you want to visit towns, beaches or harbors, you'll find many choices for a behind-the-scenes look at your favorite Maine films. You can visit locations featured in such movies as Pet Semetary, Empire Falls and In the Bedroom and walk in the footsteps of such famous actors as Paul Newman, Bette Davis, Sir Michael Caine, Vincent Price, Sissy Spacek, Kathy Bates, Charlize Theron and Tobey Maguire.
- You can see the sites featured in Stephen King's books and films—including the 1989 film Pet Semetary and 1996's Thinner—by taking the "Tommyknockers and More" bus tour of Bangor.
- You can tour Bowdoin College's Brunswick campus, shown in 1993's Man Without a Face.
- You can stroll through the small mill town of Skowhegan, seen in the 2005 HBO mini-series Empire Falls, based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel by Maine author Richard Russo.
Beaches and Lakes
- You can walk along Popham Beach at the tip of Maine's Phippsburg peninsula, where Paul Newman, Kevin Costner and Robin Wright shot the 1999 film Message in a Bottle.
- You can plan a picnic on Acadia National Park's Sand Beach, as Sir Michael Caine and Tobey McGuire did in the Oscar-winning 1999 movie Cider House Rules.
- You can view spectacular Otter Cliffs, seen in Shutter Island, Martin Scorsese's 2010 thriller.
- You can visit Belgrade Lakes, which inspired local screenwriter Ernest Thompson to write the film On Golden Pond.
Harbors and Lighthouses
- You can visit Marshall Point Lighthouse in Port Clyde, shown in the 1994 film Forrest Gump.
- You can see Portland Head Light in Cape Elizabeth, featured in 1999's Snow Falling on Cedars.
- You can visit Boothbay Harbor, where Carousel, starring Gordon MacRae and Shirley Jones, was filmed in 1956.
- You can explore Camden, where Lana Turner and Hope Lange were filmed in the 1957 classic Peyton Place.
- You can stroll through Stonington, where scenes for 1991's Sarah, Plain and Tall were shot.
- You can visit Eastport, the location for the 2001 mini-series Murder in Small Town X.