Maine’s been making movies for more than a century. And you can visit the locations of many of the state’s best-known film and TV projects. When you do, you’ll walk in the footsteps of such famous actors as Paul Newman, Ed Harris, Sissy Spacek, Michael Caine, Charlize Theron, Tom Wilkinson, and Tobey Maguire.
Cities and Town
- Drive between the Midcoast towns of Brunswick and Phippsburg, which hosted the moody, 2016 drama Five Nights in Maine. It stars David Oyelowo, Dianne Wiest, Rosie Perez, Teyonah Parris and Bill Raymond.
- Gaze across the blue potato fields of Van Buren, which provided locations for the 2014 indie drama Beneath the Harvest Sky. It stars Emory Cohen, Callan McAuliffe, Zoe Levin and Sarah Sutherland.
- Head north to the historic paper-making town of Millinocket, location of the tragic, 2013 feature Bluebird. It stars Amy Morton, John Slattery, Louisa Krause, Emily Meade and Margo Martindale.
- Jet into the Bangor International Airport, where volunteers greeted more than a million returning service members. They were chronicled in the 2009 documentary The Way We Get By. The airport was also the primary location of Stephen King’s 1995 mini-series The Langoliers.
- Explore the mill town of Skowhegan, seen in the 2005 HBO mini-series Empire Falls, based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel by Maine author Richard Russo. It stars Ed Harris, Paul Newman, Helen Hunt and Philip Seymour Hoffman.
- Walk the streets of Rockland, which hosted the critically acclaimed 2001 drama, In the Bedroom. It stars Sissy Spacek, Tom Wilkinson, Marisa Tomei and Nick Stahl.
- Visit the Downeast city of Eastport, location for the 2001 mini-series Murder in Small Town X.
- See sites that inspire many Stephen King books and films by taking a bus tour of Bangor.
- Tour Bowdoin College in Brunswick, featured in Mel Gibson's directorial debut, the 1993 drama Man Without a Face.
- Stroll through the island town of Stonington, where scenes for 1991's Sarah, Plain and Tall were shot.
Islands, Harbors and Coasts
- Sail offshore to Monhegan Island, a location in the 2016 drama The Congressman. It stars Treat Williams, Ryan Merriman, George Hamilton, Elizabeth Marvel and Jayne Atkinson.
- View the spectacular Otter Cliffs of Acadia National Park, seen in Shutter Island, Martin Scorsese's 2010 thriller.
- Walk the water along Popham Beach, at the tip of Maine's Phippsburg peninsula, which hosted Paul Newman, Kevin Costner and Robin Wright in the 1999 film Message in a Bottle.
- Picnic on Acadia National Park's Sand Beach, as Michael Caine, Tobey McGuire and Charlize Theron did in the Oscar-winning 1999 movie The Cider House Rules.
- Visit Portland Head Light in Cape Elizabeth, featured in the 1999 drama Snow Falling on Cedars. It stars Ethan Hawke and Max von Sydow.
- Jog by the Marshall Point Light in Port Clyde, just as Tom Hanks did in the 1994 film Forrest Gump.
Revisit The Classics
- Visit Boothbay Harbor, where the 1956 musical Carousel was shot. It stars Gordon MacRae and Shirley Jones.
- Explore Camden, where the 1957 drama Peyton Place was filmed. It stars Lana Turner and Hope Lange.