Nash Island Light was established in 1838 to mark the entrance to the prime lobstering territory in Pleasant Bay. Over the years, the station was improved and expanded. But today, little remains but a square stone tower, which was deactivated. It is being restored by Friends of Nash Island Light. The island is managed by the US Fish and Wildlife Service as a wildlife refuge and is not open to the public.