The Little River Lighthouse was established in 1847 on a small island just off shore of Cutler. The lighthouse is not visible from shore. The first tower, of granite and stone, was torn down and replaced in 1876. That tower, made of bricks encased in steel, still stands. In 1888, a two-story wooden Victorian keeper's house was built as part of the station. It, too, remains. The light station was automated in the mid-1970s and largely abandoned. But the light station was rescued and restored.