Historic Coast Guard photo. Most of the buildings shown, save for the light tower, have been dismantled.
Great Duck Island Light Station was built in 1890 on a remote, 220-acre offshore island. It is best viewed by boat. The island is shared by the College of the Atlantic, The Nature Conservancy, the State of Maine, and a private summer resident.
The college oversees the light station, which includes the old Head Keeper's House, two boathouses, and the actual lighthouse. The island hosts research on birds and sustainable energy.The island is closed to the public from April through October in order to protect breeding populations of seabirds and raptors.