Tiny Boon Island is about nine miles off the coast of York. From colonial times, the low-lying island was a hazard to ships. The first lighthouse, built of wood, was constructed in 1799. It was destroyed by wind and waves. Later stone lighthouses were damaged as well. The current granite and brick tower, built in 1855, is 133 feet tall. The tower is 25 feet in diameter at the base and 12 feet at the top. It is the tallest light tower in New England from base to tip. It is not open to the public but can be seen from Sohier Park, off Nubble Road, in York Beach and as part of local lighthouse cruises.